Holiday Distraction Can Be Frustrating
Let’s face it: Employees are more distracted during the holidays, and productivity can decrease. Focus is scattered between parties and celebrations, time off, extra vacation, and online shopping. In addition, people feel pressure to meet all their holiday obligations, which add up to less time spent working. The business world doesn’t stop for the holidays, unfortunately. However, employee attendance and attention definitely slips. According to a survey from CareerBuilder, about half of employees admit to holiday shopping online while at the office. Another study, by the Institute for Corporate Productivity, found that 62 percent of companies experience a big dip in workplace productivity during the holiday season.
The experts at Optimum Employer Solutions have put together a few tips to help you keep employees on task without being a Scrooge this holiday season.
How Can You Help?
- Be the Example – Leadership plays a big part in maintaining productivity during the holiday season. If you slack off at work during the holiday season, your employees will likely take your lead and do it too. It is important that you and your managers stay focused on the company’s end-of-year goals. Encourage employees to do the same.
- Take Advantage of the Season – Incorporate some holiday fun to encourage your workers to stay on task. For example, you could offer tickets to a fun holiday event to the employee who meets his or her monthly quota first. Competitions get employees both excited and determined.
- Focus On Your Mission Statement – Remind your employees that you understand this is a magical time of year. State to them that it is important to remember the company’s fundamental purpose, including short and long-term goals.
- Encourage a Recharge – The holiday season is a great time to encourage your employees to take some much needed time to recharge. Along with encouraging them to take their earned vacation time, you could organize an office-wide coffee break. Encourage your managers to leave employees alone when they are off. Whatever works for your business, choose something to help your employees get at least a few minutes of relaxation during this busy time.
- Be Flexible – In addition to offering employees time off, consider offering employees flex schedule options. You could allow employees to work remotely during the holidays. This will allow employees the flexibility to take care of personal holiday goals. Also, this will give them the option to be productive for work during hours they are not usually at the office.
- Have a Party – Even though you should focus on work during this season, it is also important to take some time and celebrate with your employees. By hosting an office holiday party, you can increase morale and productivity. Consider treating your employees to a luncheon, holiday cookies, a Secret Santa exchange or all of the above!
Make The Most of The Holiday Time at Work
As a business owner, you will need to accept that employees are going to be distracted at this time of year. However, with the great tips provided by the experts at Optimum Employer Solutions, you can make the most of this season. Instead of worrying about workers losing focus, set the right example and take full advantage of the season by planning fun ways for you and your workers to enjoy it. You can also implement some of the below tips to enhance productivity during December:
- Call an Informal Meeting- State how employee accomplishments add value to the company. While it’s normal for the holidays to distract, a certain level of productivity is expected.
- Set Goals- Communicate company/department/individual goals clearly. Try and consider making those goals a weekly challenge to keep employees engaged.
- Reward Success- Publicly recognize employees who produce great work during the holidays. This can lead to a desire to continue to go above and beyond.
It’s a fact that the holidays will affect your workplace. Remember that a little flexibility, understanding, and communication goes a long way. All of these items are ingredients for a wonderful holiday season.