Navigating Employee Meetings
One-on-one meetings are an opportunity to engage with your employees as well as address any issues they may be facing. By engaging in meetings effectively, you will recharge your employees. This will help them work more productively- win, win. Many employers implement one-on-one meetings, however, they typically don’t put much thought into how to make them effective.
Here are some tips for getting the most out of your one-on-one employee meetings:
- Get on Your Team’s Timetable – It is important to remember that one-on-one meetings will be different for each team member. Some may prefer daily conversations while others may prefer less frequent meetings. The key is to identify and respect each employee’s preferred communication style to the best of your ability.
- Turn off the Devices – When you are meeting with an employee, give them your full attention. Calls can go to voicemail and texts can wait to be read. Nothing will make your employee feel less heard than if you are distracted by your phone or tablet while meeting with them.
- Remember that it is Your Employee’s Time – A one-on-one meeting is a chance for your employee to tell you how they are doing and any issues they may have. If your employee is dissatisfied, find out why and try to solve the problem. Consider asking each employee how you can make their workday more successful. Also, ask how you can help them overcome any obstacles they face.
- Be a Coach – If you need to provide criticism, do it. You can be candid without being a jerk. Explain what has worked in the past and how the employee can improve in the future.
- Say “Thank You” – Saying “thank you” will go a long way when you are creating better relationships with your employees. Try to acknowledge at least one thing each employee has accomplished successfully in your meetings. Reinforce positive accomplishments- this will boost the confidence and satisfaction of your employees.
The Benefits of Manager Training Through Optimum
Optimum Employer Solutions is here to help you become a more effective and successful manager with our manager training services. This unique service will help you define and set goals as well as improve company protocol. Your managers will be able to provide effective feedback that will help each employee be more successful and productive.
Let Optimum help you and your managers gain the skills needed to effectively communicate and encourage employees.